Exhibitions’ organisation requires special attention. Indeed, risks are higher due to the huge number of visitors, the proximity of the exhibitors and the unfamiliar environment.
Reminder of good practices
- MEWPs displayed should be compliant with the local regulations.
- Anyone moving or operating a MEWP must have a valid PAL (Powered Access Licence) Card and be familiar with the machine.
- People in the platform must wear Personal Protective Equipment and connect fall protection equipment.
- It is mandatory to complete a daily inspection and test the functions of all machines on the stand.
Before/after the event
- A contact person in charge of loading and unloading must organize the delivery of the MEWPs.
- Do not forget signage or barriers while moving the machines to direct pedestrians away from the path.
- A risk assessment and ground evaluation should be stored on stand as well as the list of authorised operators and a rescue plan.
- Keys must be available at all times for staff only.
- Each machine should be positioned in the stand to minimise the risk of people bumping their head.
- Do not forget to turn off and secure all MEWPs that are not being demonstrated
During the exhibition
- Visitors and staff in the display area must wear suitable clothing and shoes.
- Visitors are not to be elevated until all loose objects are secured. A ground rescue person must be present whenever there is movement of the MEWP.
- Please consider the wind speed, the weather conditions, and the visibility while elevating in outdoor displays (only for outdoor rated MEWPs).
- Permission is required to demonstrate a MEWP during an event. In that case, the machine must remain in a designated area with limited public access.
- Take precautions when operating alongside neighbouring stands.
Find the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) exhibition guidelines for Powered Access Machines.